Monday, February 21, 2011

Brain works(!) and Deaf arts

I've been feeling a little guilt about doing almost no Auslan practice over the summer holidays. Last summer I made an effort to do more and when I returned to class, I did struggle a bit. This year, I made no effort and I am fine in class! I had a class mostly in Auslan last night with lots of fingerspelling and I was relatively fine! I am mightily heartened by this - especially the fingerspelling. I think my Auslan has gone to a new, better place in my brain - somewhere accessible, not somewhere in the deep, dark places of my head! Hurrah! Relief! Things are coming together! I found a similar thing with French, the first language I learned as an adult, which I use rarely now. It is still in there - I don't think it will ever really go away.

The class itself last night was fantastic! We learned all about Deaf theatre and comedy, song signing and some Deaf visual artists (painters, photographers). Being a bit of an arts fan, I would love to learn more about this. Subject of future blog posts, perhaps. I would also love to go to a theatre show that is interpreted. Sadly, this only really happens in Melbourne and Sydney. Might have to keep this in mind when I visit my brother next in my favourite city, Melbourne.

2 comments:

  1. Wow! That's so much more interesting than all the stuff I had to sit through! I reckon if they talked about the arts kind of stuff earlier in the course they'd have more people still on board!

    I'm glad you're back in class, enjoying it, learning lots.

    I guess I'm lucky that even though I'm not in class, I sign almost every day, all the time. I probably have to sign more than some of the people in the class!

    Your adventure is only just beginning!

    Kate

    ps. hope you guys aren't missing me too much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Rachel, I was really happy to come across your blog. I have never read anyone's blog before and came across yours when searching for information on Auslan. I have just about completed the 6 week (non accreditated) course at CIT in Auslan and have really enjoyed it. I do not want it to end. I am actually considering doing my Masters in Sp. Ed (majoring in hearing impaired) and only really need Auslan 1 and 2. But doing this litle course I want to learn so much more and be able to sign fluently(this will take a long time - I am only up to "animals!!!") Anyway, thankyou for your blog. I really want to practise with someone and wonder if you know where the best place to practise would be. I am a full time mother to 4 children and have not had (paid) work since the birth of my first baby. Auslan is making me use my mind again and is really engaging. The children are learning along with me. Thankyou once again Rachel and good luck with the rest of your course.
    Christine

    ReplyDelete